Keith’s Southern Collard Greens Recipe
Author: Keith Lorren
Recipe type: side dish
- 2-3 tablespoons Keith’s Collard Green Seasoning or more. season to taste
- 2.5 lbs chopped Collard greens
- 2.5 lbs chopped Turnip greens
- 1 Onion2 cloves garlic minced
- 2-3 tablespoons minced celery
- 1 teaspoon sugar(optional)
- 1 Green Bell pepper
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 large smoked ham hock split
- ¼ lb smoked pork neck bones
- ¼ lb smoked pig tails
- ¼ lb smoked turkey wings
- 4 strips smoked bacon
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Fill a large pot with water and simmer smoked meat until water has reduced by ¾ ( about 1 to 1.5 hours) or until tender . (water should be reduced so that only about 1 inch remains)
- In a saute pan render bacon in olive oil until crispy. Remove bacon from oil.
- in the same bacon oil Add chopped onion, celery, garlic and Bell pepper to saute pan. Saute until vegetables are tender and translucent. Remove from heat.
- Add chopped collard greens to broth simmer for 10 minutes. Add chopped Turnip Greens to Broth.
- Add Keith’s Collard Green Seasoning, vinegars and Scotch bonnet to broth.
- Simmer greens for 15 minutes and add sauteed vegetables and crumpled crisp bacon.
- Simmer until tender (45 minutes to 1 hour) or until tender