Arabic Yellow Lentil Soup
I learned to make this amazing soup while living in Dubai. Its so refreshing, healthy, and tasty! Your whole family will love it!
- 14 oz yellow lentils or yellow split peas
- 1 tablespoon Keith Lorren's All Purpose Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon whole cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Dash ground cayenne pepper
- Dash ground chili powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons ghee or olive oil
- 1 jalapeno or 1 red chilli pepper whole, un-punctured
- 10 - 12 cups chicken stock
- Creme fraiche or yogurt for garnish
- Chopped parsley, scallions, or cilantro fro garnish
- 1 small onion chopped
- In a large pot, saute onions, spices briefly to release flavor.
- Add beans and broth.
- Simmer until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove bayleaf and pepper from pot.
- Puree mixture in a blender until smooth.
- The soup should be a medium napee or coats the back of a spoon. If needed add more broth to achieve desired texture. (Some people prefer the soup to be thin while others prefer a more chunky style soup.)
- Return pureed soup to pot and before serving add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to awaken flavors.
- This soup can be garnished with a dolop of creme fraiche, yogurt, cilantro, chopped parsley, or chopped tomatoes, and is served with warm pita bread and lemon slices.