General Tso Chicken
Best tasting General Tso Chicken recipe. Sweet, salty, spicy, sour, and packed full of flavor. I betcha this tastes better than any general tso chicken you’ve ever had!!
- 1 lb chicken thighs, boned and cubed
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup and 2 tsp cornstarch for sauce
- White pepper to taste
- Chinese 5 spice
- Chinese Shaoxing Rice Wine
FOR THE SAUCE
- 5 dried red hot peppers
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp rice wine or sake or sherry (Shaoxing)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon of finely sliced orange zest/rind
- 2 teaspoons Chinese chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- Splash of oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger
- Drop of red food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon orange seasoning
- Fresh chopped scallions
- In a large bowl, season the chicken pieces with the listed spices.
- Thoroughly blend the 1/2 cup of cornstarch and the eggs.
- Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat.
- If the mixture bonds too well, add some vegetable oil to separate the pieces.
- In a small bowl, prepare the sauce mixture by combining the 2 tsp cornstarch with the wine, vinegar, sugar and soy sauce along with other ingredients.
FIRST STAGE OF FRYING
- Heat 1-2 inches of peanut oil in a wok to medium-high heat (375º - 400º).
- Fry the chicken in small batches, just long enough to cook the chicken through.
- Remove the chicken to absorbent paper and allow to stand (this step can be performed well in advance, along with the sauce mixture, with both refrigerated).
SECOND STAGE OF FRYING
- Leave a tablespoon or two of the oil in the wok.
- Add the pepper pods to the oil and stir-fry briefly, awakening the aroma but not burning them.
- Return the chicken to the wok and stir-fry until the pieces are crispy brown.
- Add scallions.
- Add the sauce-mixture to the wok, tossing over the heat until the sauce caramelizes into a glaze over the chicken (1-2 minutes).
- Serve immediately dusted lightly with sesame seeds, steamed broccoli and rice.