Keith Lorren's World’s Best Pie Crust
Over 100,000 people have searched and watched my Jamaican beef patty video (my first video) and exclaimed how excellent my patty crust was. Well I finally decided to share my pie crust recipe with the world and here it is...
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash of Keith Lorren’s Dessert Spice
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter cut into tablespoons and frozen
- 4 tablespoons butter flavored crisco shortening frozen
- 4 tablespoons lard frozen (from rendered bacon)
- 2-4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 teaspoon butter flavor
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- Place butter, crisco and lard in freezer for 15 minutes.
- When ready to use, remove and cut both into small pieces.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, cornstarch and salt by pulsing 3 to 4 times.
- Add butter and pulse 5 to 6 times until texture looks mealy.
- Add lard/crisco and pulse another 3 to 4 times. There should be pea sized chunks of fat in flour mixture.
- Whisk egg, butter flavor, vinegar and water.
- Place flour mixture in large bowl.
- Sprinkle approximately 4 to 7 tablespoons of this egg, water, vinegar mixture, a little at a time, mixing gently with a fork. (The key to this is, you do not want a wet dough, and you do not want to over mix. This will cause crust to be tough.)
- Place this dough into plastic wrap or plastic bag, chill in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. (May also be frozen for a few weeks at this stage for future use).
- Remove from refrigerator, cut in half, and place each piece between 2 pieces of wax paper.
- Roll out to fit your pie pan.
This makes 2 pie crusts or one double pie crust.