Keith’s Caribbean Festival Recipe (Fried Dumplings)
This side item can be served with any Caribbean dish, especially seafood.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons corn flour (masa)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar or less if you want a more savory festival
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon butter
- few dashes nutmeg
- powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Sift all dry ingredients together. Add cornmasa afterward.
- In large bowl, incorporate butter into flower using a fork.
- Add vanilla to mixture.
- Gradually add water one tablespoon at a time to create a firm dough by kneading gently. (Do not over work dough.)
- Allow dough to rest for 1 hour.
- With your hands, form 1×3 inch dumplings and place on a floured tray.
- Heat oil to about 350 degrees.
- When oil is hot, fry dumplings until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain excess oil by laying fried dumplings on paper towels.
- If desired, dust with powdered sugar.