Keith’s Citrus Smoked Chicken with White BBQ Sauce
- 2 chickens halved
CITRUS MOJO MARINADE
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 4-5 green scallions
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 large heads of garlic
- 3/4 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 bottle of Keith Lorren All Purpose Seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 cup salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Chinese salt or Accent
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 jalepeño pepper (optional)
Keith’s White bbq sauce
· 1 cup mayonnaise.
· ¼ cup apple cider vinegar.
· 1 tablespoon hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)
· 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce.
· ½ teaspoon celery seeds.
· 1 teaspoon Keith Lorren BBQ rub
· 1 teaspoon Keith Lorren Seasoned Sea Salt.
· Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
· ½ teaspoon chicken bouillion
MARINADE THE CHICKEN OVERNIGHT
- Put all marinade ingredients into a blender and liquify.
- Poke holes in chicken to allow marinade to penetrate and rub marinade into chicken (you can also inject the chicken with the marinade and pour remaining marinade over chicken). Pour remaining marinade over chicken and allow to marinate overnight.
PREPARE THE CHICKEN
- Remove chicken from marinade.
- Smoke chicken over indirect heat for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours with coal, hickory, oak, cinnamon sticks, pimento wood or all spice, and sliced onions. Temperature should be about 250-300 degrees.
PREPARE THE WHITE BBQ SAUCE
- Mix all ingredients together and allow them to sit for 1 hour so all the flavors develop. For a smokier sauce, add a few dashes of Keith Lorren’s Grill Concentrate seasoning.
- Serve as a dipping sauce for chicken.