Keith’s Cornbread & Sausage Dressing
Keith’s Cornbread & Sausage Dressing Recipe. This recipe was adapted from my late grandma June. My favorite pastime was spending time with her and eating her home cooked dressing and turkey wings. This is a must have during any soulfood dinner where baked chicken, or turkey is served! This dressing can also be made with oysters, shrimp and crab meat.
FOR THE CORNBREAD
- 4 cups Martha white self rising corn meal mi
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup wate
- 1/2 cup oi
- 2 eggs
FOR THE DRESSING
- 6 cups crumpled corn brea
- 3 cup Pepperidge Farm seasoned white bread stuffing
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons Keith Lorren's Poultry Seasoning
- 4-5 cups broth (fortified with turkey or chicken parts, neck, back, wings, gizzards, skin, etc, celery, onion)
- 2 tablespoon white truffle oil drizzled on top of casserole before baking
- Paprika for color
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease a 16-inch casserole dish or (2) 8-inch square pans.
- Place in oven to heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Pour all ingredients into hot greased pan.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
PREPARE THE DRESSING
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook sausage in a skillet until brown and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt butter and sauté vegetables.
- Cook until tender and remove from heat.
- In a food processor, add cooked vegetables and cooked sausage and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add mixture to crumpled cornbread and bread stuffing mixture. Mix well.
- Add egg along with broth until you reach a desired moist consistency. Fold in fresh parsley.
- Place stuffing in a baking dish and spread evenly.
- Drizzle top with 2 tablespoons of truffle oil.
- Garnish lightly with paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until brown.